GLTF animation not working?

Hi all!
I’ve run into a bit of a headache trying to figure out how to use an animated GLTF in Cables. From the examples on the site it should have been as easy as adding syncing timing with the timeline or adding a timer. Am I missing something here regarding animations in GLTF?

I’ve checked the .glb I exported from Blender and it displays the animation perfectly fine elsewhere (for example using https://gltf-viewer.donmccurdy.com/ )

The patch in question is here:
https://cables.gl/p/5efc50a50187925fa81520d9?s=wVGQo4eYwwkp9613

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hi Gleam
This example patch shows animation working as expected.
It’s kind of hard to know what could have gone wrong from the blender side.
Can you provide more insight into how you exported this and with what settings?

Hi andro!
I used the default settings for exporting from Blender 2.8 with the inbuilt GLTF addon (no changes apart from making sure it’s a GLTF binary, .glb file).

The 3D scene itself is a simple rigged mesh that’s animated.

Just wanting to bump this as I still haven’t figured out what set of settings cables needs in order to get a working output.

Hi @gleam,
I’ve bumped into the same issue you described dealing with animated .glb, and I kinda discovered the problem maybe lies into rigged and/or armature animations VS simple animation of meshes.

Try to import in Blender some public domain gltf with animation in keyframes and then one rigged and take notice of the timeline: the only one working in Cables is the one with all frames converted to keyframes.

That said, I still haven’t figured out how to make the rigged animations work in Cables.
I’ll try to bake or convert a rigged animation in some way, I’m really a newbie of Blender… some help would be appreciated!

Hi @nicktheblade ,
you’re very right, it’s the whole rigged animations not being very palatable by cables for now (generally gltf has no problem with rigged animations after all, but at least in my case even the old collada approach has yet to work on the rigs I have).

That said, I’ve found a … workaround, which honestly gives less than ideal results here. Expect severally ballooning file sizes and slightly less than optimal performance, but hey it works (sort of, not usable in my particular case though).

Basic steps are acquire a trail of Cinema 4D (in my case), then export from blender an alembic cache of the animated mesh alongside an fbx (static) of the mesh + a texture. Import the alembic cache into C4D and bake the animated alembic to (only) PLA. Import the fbx and copy/paste the PLA to the fbx import. Delete the alembic cache & add textures/materials to the (now animated) fbx mesh and export as a binary gltf.

Your mileage may vary.